11/13/10

Blog 10 : The End of Phase 1 Training

Hi to all,

Here is a brief overview of week 13, this was the final exercise week, you'r not tested so to speak but you are expected to act like a regular soldier would on exercise. The situation is made as real as possible with regards to current operations in around the world.

The first 2 nights we were in a FOB (forward operating base) the same as you would find on a live tour, complete with current style sangers and hesco walls. As I lay in my tent looking out the door it looked so real, it was so realistic that I could not help but imagine that I was in Afghanistan.

The main structure of this exercise was to protect the FOB and carry out clearance patrols, standing, close target, reconnaissance and fighting. Our objective was to observe the enemy and contact if required.

We had 3 rotating tasks, guard, QRF (Quick Reaction Force) and patrol. Each were 3 hours in rotation throughout the day and night. I am sure you can imagine you don't get much in the way of sleep. Probably 4 hours of sleep a night in 1 hour intervals if you are not on guard you are waiting to be sent out with the QRF.

The situation is made as real as possible but instead of live rounds we used blanks. The corporals were operating as section commanders and lead the attacks. We were attacked several times a day, each time we had to carry our fire and manoeuvre drills in order to suppress the enemy. This was probably the best and most exciting training that I have completed since joining the army. The hardest was patrolling to and from the FOB under full weight of kit, with the last 2 nights living completely out in the field.

I have found and College and the army bursary scheme an excellent training asset for me. If you take on leadership roles in college and work hard on your teamwork skills, these skills will definitely help especially if you are nominated as 2IC.

I had previously learnt the structure of the final attack sequence that was used in training last week, on the army look at life course that I attended whist at college.

Imagine how I felt when I was given my final test initiative, and I realised that I previously being given the structure during training at college/bursary, believe me It gives you a massive edge.

Tips:
The tips for this week are simple but very important, focus every minute as you never know when or what event will unfold.

Get as much sleep as you can, you'll get a few hours here and there.
If you get 30 mins down time get your admin squared away, get in your doss bag and sleep.

Once again ... and just as important enjoy your training, you should hopefully only complete phase 1 training once in your life so try and enjoy every minute.


That's about it, take care and hope to see you sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank Rob on behlaf of all the Second Years. We were furtunate enough to have Rob come and speak to us and give us advice on our course, and to have a insight of Army training.

Thanks Rob, best of luck in Phase Two, and we luck forward to Phase Two of the blog

Jack Grace
Chesterfield College UPS